Freshman Basketball Team Kicks Off a New Season

This year’s freshman basketball team has started off the season 3-2 and has the potential to make this year a great one Marcus Jefferson, coach, professes.

“This group has great promise, I believe. They are a great group of kids. They are still learning the game of basketball and balancing school and every day life, which can be challenging. They show up every day for practice and keep trying to get better, and right now, that’s satisfactory for a freshman coach. I see the promise of success with this group,” Jefferson said.

The team started off with a loss, but then recovered from it with a 3-game winning streak. So far, they have won against Crown Point, Chesterton and Merrillville, but lost games against Valparaiso and Portage.

“After the lost, we recovered with a 3-game winning streak, starting with Crown Point at home followed by Chesterton and a huge win on the road at Merrillville. The victory at Merrillville was when I was convinced how good we can be as a team,” Jefferson said.

The team’s next challenge is to try and beat Michigan City tonight and see if they can improve their standings to 4-2.

“This team has tremendous potential, but only time will tell if we will ever reach it. That is why I strive for my team to give more of a commitment in practice and in games, because we can be really good,” Jefferson said.