Even in rain, LCXC shines

Sarah Hunsley (12) runs at the beginning of the race. Hunsley finished second in the varsity race with a time of 18:33.44.

On Saturday, Oct. 1, the Lake Central Cross Country team faced off with seven other schools in a 5k run for the Duneland Athletic Conference.

“[I’m] super proud of the girls. They all ran well, and everyone stepped up. It was a great day for Lake Central running,” Coach Ann Downey, Mathematics, said.

The first race kicked off at 9 a.m. for the varsity girls, and they finished well, despite the rainy atmosphere and muddy grounds of the park.

“[The race went] really good. I enjoyed this course. It was hard, but it was a good hard,” Lillian Zubeck (9) said.

Sarah Hunsley (12) got second place in the varsity race and the girls varsity team got second overall in the DAC.

“I just kept telling myself don’t give up, don’t give up, and I passed a girl right at the end,” Hunsley said.

Later in the morning, the JV girls ran as well, with Samantha Dittrich (11) getting first place. The boys varsity ran after the girls varsity.

“I’m really happy with what [the boys] did. We didn’t have this race circled as something we were shooting for, so [everything] they did today was great,” Head Coach Jeff Rhody, Science, said.

The varsity boys got second overall in the DAC with Joseph Copeland (11) earning first place.

“[The race] was phenomenal. [Winning the race] feels amazing, and I can’t even describe it. I came through the finish line, and I didn’t feel tired at all. I feel like I can run five more,” Copeland said.

All four teams LC put forth at the DAC meet showed good results with some runners even earning personal records. The next time varsity meet is on Saturday, Oct. 8, for sectionals. Both girls and boys JV are done running this season.

“The kids [got] great times today. There were a lot of PRs [personal records]. It was awesome and the rain held off for us,” Coach Downey said.