Marketing local

Zandstra’s Farm sells its produce at the Highland Farmer’s Market every week. The farm has been coming to the market for the past 18 years.

It was a brisk fall day on Oct. 8 when farmers and marketers gathered together in downtown Highland to sell their goods to the community.

“I love that [the Highland Farmer’s Market] is small enough that we know almost everybody who shops here and what they buy. We notice if they didn’t come for a week. They come, and they share their recipes and pictures of their kids, so that’s really neat about this market,” Laura Zandstra of Zandstra’s Farm said.

The market goes from June to Oct., 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., every Saturday. There are many booths, and plenty to enjoy, including an acoustic folk-cover band and the local produce of Zandstra’s Farm.

“Our farm has been in this community for over 100 years, so we just stay right here in town. We really believe strongly in selling only seasonal products and only things that grow in the Northwest,” Zandstra said.

The leaves blew around on the ground, and the smell of dill followed the customers of all ages around as they picked through the fresh, ripening produce located on a bright red and white checkered tablecloth. Pumpkins and melons could also be selected from the bed of a truck parked next to the vegetable stand.

“I think it feels better when you buy [market produce] because you know you are actually getting it from a farmer, instead of not knowing what it goes through to get to the store,” Sydney Potpora (10) said.

While shopping at the market, sun rays hit the pumpkins, flowers and produce for sale; however, the natural merchandise only has one more week to be sold to the community of Northwest Indiana before the season is over.

“[My favorite thing about the market is] the community. It’s just getting excited about the food that’s ready in the moment,” Zandstra said.