Parents, students learn about dual credit

Darian Smith and lakecentralnews

Parents and students were invited into the LGI to discuss and learn about dual credit options on Tuesday, April 8. Dual credit courses give students the chance to earn college credit before even setting foot on a college campus.

“Dual credit is probably the best-kept secret that we don’t want to be a secret,” Mr. Marty Freeman, Assistant Principal said.

In order for dual credit to work, an agreement must be made between the high school and the college. As of now, all post-secondary schools have differing requirements to be accepted. Lake Central is partnered with five colleges: Purdue University Calumet, Purdue University North Central, Indiana University, Indiana University Northwest, and Ivy Tech Community College.

“When I took over dual credit three years ago, we had about 800 credits earned by our students. Last year we had over 6,000,” Mr. Freeman said.

More and more students are learning about dual credit. Dual credit can be used to help a student to receive an Academic Honors diploma and also lower the cost of expensive college classes. The price depends on both the course and the student’s prospective college.

“I’m interested in dual credit because if I get that, I’ll have a chance to go to college. That’s all I’ve ever really wanted, was to make it to college. I’ve heard that I won’t make it. This way, when I make it, I’ll prove them all wrong,” Christopher Perez (11) said.

If you missed the meeting and still want to learn more about dual credit, Mr. Freeman can be reached at his direct school line, 558-2734.