Summertime Studying

This summer, some students are choosing to study and get ahead

+Instead+of+beach+bumming+this+summer%2C+many+students+are+working+hard+and+getting+ahead+in+school+by+taking+online+or+at+school+summer+school+courses.++Online+summer+school+courses+begin+on+June+9th.

Provided by: MCT Campus

Instead of beach bumming this summer, many students are working hard and getting ahead in school by taking online or at school summer school courses. Online summer school courses begin on June 9th.

When summer begins and school lets out, are students really let out of school?  Some students take the opportunity to enroll in summer classes to make scheduling classes more flexible.

“I think online classes are beneficial because it allows openings in my schedule for different classes,” Rachel Gross (11) said.

When considering taking classes over the summer, there are a few different choices to make.  The first decision that a student  will have to make is if they will take the class through LC or Indiana Online Academy.  The second is deciding what course to take.

“As far as at Lake Central, it would be your auto [shop] class, summer auto [shop] and the health class, definitely  gym and pool for our incoming freshmen. Then there are juniors that take the Government and Economics just to get that out of the way to open up a spot for senior year.  I would say the most popular would be the personal financial responsibility course, and a lot of students also take advantage of the Government and Economics through Indiana Online Academy,” Mrs. Robin May, Guidance, said.

Not only are classes used to free up space in your schedule, but sometimes students feel that online courses are less challenging.

“I am taking Government and Health.  The classes are really easy and they go by fast,” Gross said.

Even though the classes are easy and help free up space, summer classes, especially online, are not for everyone.

“Definitely with the Indiana Online [program]  you have to have a good work ethic because those classes that [are] all done at home via the emails. So, you have to be self disciplined and stay active every other day online. If you know you’re not that motivated, then I would highly recommend doing the Lake Central Summer School where you’re actually in a classroom with a teacher,” Mrs. May said.

Incoming Freshman Summer School dates and times are: June 9 – July 26 or June 27 -July 17 from 7:30 – 11:14 a.m.

Traditional summer school dates and times are June 9 – July 17 7:30 – 9:19 a.m. or 9:25 – 11:14 a.m.

Indiana Online Academy summer school dates are June 9 – July 24.  Finals will be July 21 – 24 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in rooms 9221 and 9222.

For details on next year’s classes see your guidance counselor.