Wrestling Camp wraps up

Boys participating in wrestling camp run laps at the beginning of practice. The camp lasted 4 days.

Darian Smith and lakecentralnews

During the first week of summer break, Grimmer Middle School hosted a wrestling camp that brought together coaches and student wrestlers ranging from the third grade to senior class. It began on Monday, June 2 and ended Thursday, June 5, lasting each day from 4 – 6 p.m.

“The purpose of the camp is to get some introduction into wrestling and some technique into the sport of wrestling with the hope that a lot of the kids that will join and participate within our camp will then become middle school and high school wrestlers,” Mr. Ryan Alb, head wrestling coach, said.

Lake Central High School coaches, Ryan Alb and David Gnaden, recruited some of the high school wrestlers to help teach the younger ones the ways around the mat.

“This week we were just coaching all the little kids from third grade to incoming freshmen to help them get better by working on simple techniques from starting out wrestling and getting into more complex stuff that you’ll see in high school.” Branden Truver (12) said.

While the wrestling camp is meant to train and prepare young wrestlers for future wrestling opportunities, the camp doesn’t guarantee you a spot on the team.

“With wrestling you’ve got to fight for your spot. So these young guys leaving elementary school that will get to the middle school will compete for their spot on the team based on weight class and skill set and what kind of desire and drive they have to be a varsity athlete,” Coach Alb said.

Throughout the week, about 40 kids have registered along with eight high school students who volunteered their time to young wrestlers.

“This is the first year that we’ve done an official summer wrestling camp, so I think it turned out pretty well. Our goal is to grow. Next year we’re hoping to double all the kids and each year just continue to grow and make it bigger and bigger,” Mr. David Gnaden, head JV wrestling coach said.