School board discusses My Big Campus

Ms. Martha Sandoval presents a grant at the meeting. The Lake Central Education Foundation presented grants to five corporation teachers.

On Monday, Nov. 3, members of the school board met to discuss current matters. Ms. Martha Sandoval presented grants to five teachers, and Ms. Jolene Bogacki and Ms. Myra Lolkema, Technology Trainer, gave a presentation about My Big Campus.

“Education is not just between students and teachers. It is a collaboration between students, teachers, and parents,” Ms. Lolkema said.

Through RDS, guardians can access a parent version of My Big Campus to keep track of their students’ classroom activities and homework. Over the next year, My Big Campus will be integrated into the curriculum of third to 12th grade classes.

“Our goal is that next year we will have all teachers trained,” Ms. Sarah Castaneda, Director of Secondary Education, said.

The learning management system is a valuable tool in preparing students for college and later life.

“Once [students] graduate, they have a way of taking them out of the My Big Campus system and archiving their work as a sort of portfolio,” Ms. Bogacki said.

The next school board meeting will be held on Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. in the LGI.