Senior scheduling perspective

Mrs. Denton and Gina DiNino (12) chat in the guidance room. It is very important to take scheduling seriously for your future. Photo by: Hannah Bryner

Every year that I sat down to schedule classes for my next year of high school, I always anticipated my senior year. Senior year was the year that I would not have to map out the remainder of my high school career. Senior year was the year that I would begin planning for my future beyond high school. Senior year was the year that I would leave Lake Central.

This year, as I hear announcements and younger students buzzing with excitement (or fright) about scheduling for their next year to begin, I reflect upon the fact that I wish that I would have known back then what I know now about high school.

There’s no sense in me wishing I could do it all over again, or wishing I would have known how important scheduling is for high school. All I can do is give the information that I know now back to the students who are trying to reach their senior year.

First of all, the most important thing in scheduling is knowing your options and your requirements. Freshmen students should take every advantage they can to plan how they are going to accomplish their requirements for graduation. Frivolous classes early on in your years will only set you back when you’re trying to make room for the required classes ahead. Also, do not be afraid of hard work over the summer. Summer classes are not just for students who may have failed classes during the previous year. Taking one or two classes online over the summer can get you ahead in the long run.

Do not be afraid of hard work in general. Hard work in high school can only help you go farther and prepare you for your future. Don’t be afraid to put an AP class on your schedule or plan to take a dual credit course. Taking AP dual credit classes will help you not only succeed past high school, but if you do well in these classes, they often count as college credits. Getting as many college credits as you can in high school can save you money in college in the long run.

Last but not least, your counselor is your most important guide in your journey. They know everything there is about scheduling and what is best for you and are certified to help you academically and emotionally. Make frequent trips to your counselor to stay on track.

Keeping your goals in mind and planning your schedule for next year is an important step in your high school journey. Before you know it, you’ll be in my senior shoes reminiscing about the days when the journey all began.