From serving our nation to serving those who have served

The interior design of the restaurant brings diners back to the past with worn-down, original chairs and tables.  The purpose of this was to make veterans feel comfortable.
The interior design of the restaurant brings diners back to the past with worn-down, original chairs and tables. The purpose of this was to make veterans feel comfortable.

Veteran’s Cafe is a veteran-owned facility, and it has been open for seven months.  The purpose of the cafe is to serve veterans who are left homeless, deprived of family or unemployed.

“Brian Cody came through our program and was with us for three years.  I told him, ‘Let’s look at maybe opening a restaurant because we get no government funding at the center,’ and so we used to go out with food vending people, vendors at Lake County Fair and all of those different areas to raise money for the house,” Mrs. Bessie Anthony, co-owner, said.

The idea of a restaurant started with the dream of cooking and the need for finances.  Veteran’s Cafe is an eatery where almost all of the profits go to the homeless shelter in Gary.

“One of the things I have found out within the six-year set we have been serving our veterans that it has been an honor, and I think that we should look at honoring our veterans more. That’s one of the things that we do here at the cafe.  We’re not only here to make profit or pay expense.  We are here to actually help out our veterans because part of the proceeds from here go back to helping the center in Gary,”  Mrs. Anthony said.