Forty days and forty nights

Lent+lasts+40+days+before+Easter.+It+started+on+Ash+Wednesday+when+members+of+the+church+would+go+and+be+blessed+with+the+ashes+of+the+palm+leaves+from+the+year+before.+
Lent lasts 40 days before Easter. It started on Ash Wednesday when members of the church would go and be blessed with the ashes of the palm leaves from the year before.

In religions such as Catholicism, the 40 days leading up to Easter are called Lent. These days are to resemble the 40 days that Jesus suffered. Members of the church who choose to practice their religion are supposed to give up something for the 40 days.

“For Lent I gave up eating in-between meals. I think giving up things for Lent is good because it teaches you a lesson to be happy with what you have,” Aaron Ludwig (12) said.

It is also practiced in the religion to not eat meat on Fridays and to fast the first day of Lent, which is called Ash Wednesday.

“On Fridays I don’t eat meat. I choose other substitutes like fish or soup. I think practicing Lent makes you closer to your religion,” Kimberly Haddad (11) said.

However, some people decide to make substitutions to their practices when they are out of their homes.

“I eat meat at school on Fridays because I don’t like anything else and I know I have to eat, but then once I am home, I eat pastas and breads. I try to stick to the no-meat-on-Friday rules but take a little break at school,” Andrew Fernandez (11) said.

Some people are used to giving up something they love for 40 days. It becomes a routine that they are used to and find beneficial.

“I have given up things in the past. I mostly give up snacks and chocolate. This year I gave up chocolate. I feel that it helps me as a person because it teaches you how to become more disciplined. It helps you learn how to give up other things, such as bad habits,” Anna Napawocki (10) said