Flipping toward Regionals

The Girl’s Lake Central Gymnastics team take a picture with their flowers after the Sectionals competition at Chesterton High School on Mar. 7. Andi Wartman (12) ended up qualifying for Regionals on floor exercise.

The Lake Central Gymnastics team traveled to Chesterton High School on Saturday, March 7, for Sectionals. The girls had been training hard since the end of November for this day. They ended up finishing seventh out of the 10 teams competing.

“In a Sectional meet you get to see all the other teams perform, and then you get to see what you need to do better for next year. You can watch other teams and get new ideas for stuff to do,” Lauren Markulin (12) said.

Andi Wartman (12) trained extra hard since this was her last year on the team. She had high hopes of qualifying for Regionals on floor exercise, and her dreams came true when she scored a 9.475, which was 0.025 points higher than she needed to qualify.

“I’ve been working really hard the past two years to make it past Regionals. To get past Regionals, I had to make it to Regionals, so it is one step closer to my goal,” Wartman said.

Andi Wartman’s teammates and coaches also shared the excitement with her.

“[When Wartman qualified for Regionals], it was a very happy moment, [and] a lot of us were crying for her because that was her senior year. She will get to make it to the next stage and hopefully State,” Morgan Markulin (9) said.

Regionals is on Friday, March 13 in Valparaiso.