An Admission Officer’s view of college visits

A+junior+from+University+Missouri+gives+a+tour+of+campus++to+an+incoming+freshman+from+St.+Louis+Missouri.+The+tours+were+held+on+the+hour+by+students+who+had+volunteered.+
A junior from University Missouri gives a tour of campus to an incoming freshman from St. Louis Missouri. The tours were held on the hour by students who had volunteered.

With the end of the school year quickly approaching, juniors are starting to plan college visits and seniors are making last-minute stops to make their college decision. Admission directors are preparing for the surge of students in the upcoming season.

“[The amount of students who visit] totally depends on the week. During the spring breaks, several hundreds of students come. Over Christmas, around ten students come. It all depends on when students are able to leave school, but we can prepare for it,” Ms. Kylie Tutko, University of Missouri, Admissions.

Admissions should not be the only ones preparing for the visits. When entering campus, students should know what they are looking for. It is advised to have questions prepared.

“I get a lot of questions about how large the school is. I get other questions like: What are classes sizes like? Will I be able to find my way around? Will I have to take a bus to classes? Also a lot about greek life. How are the parties at Mizzou?” Ms. Tutko said.

Sometimes even more questions come from the parents than the students.

“Parents ask a lot about job placement and internship opportunities. There are definitely a lot of different questions from parents about the size of Mizzou and how students can navigate it on their own,” Ms. Tutko said.

Admissions gets the same questions every time from students and parents. They believe that students should ask more questions about who their future resources should be.

“I think a lot of students aren’t very concerned about resources. They want to know where can I work out and what kind of restaurants are on campus? What is my room gonna look like? That is super important when you’re here but it is more lifestyle stuff. But students should ask and know who’s gonna help with their classes and who’s gonna help with their search for jobs. What do you do if you want to change your major? What do you do if you want to study abroad? What if you want to take a semester off? Students need to ask where those resources are and located on campus and how accessible they are for students,” Ms. Tutko said.