#Blackout Day goes viral

The hashtag #Blackout represented black media users and the support of their personal photos and videos. #Blackout day was Fri., March 6.

Photographs, vines and other forms of media made by and featuring black men and women flooded websites on Fri., March 6. The site was swarmed with responses to the hashtag #Blackout.

Tumblr user Y.R.N. initiated the movement after noticing a lack of black representation in media on the site. The hashtag was primarily used on Tumblr, but activity in support of the movement was also featured on Twitter and Facebook.

The hashtag supported any media, mostly photographs, with black individuals.  Re-tweets, favorites and reblog counts jumped as users of all ethnicities participated in the support of black users. Individuals commented positive statements or simply dedicated the day to supporting others through a steady stream of re-tweeting or re-blogging media posted by black participants.

Responses the following day from those that participated were mainly appreciative and mentioned that, thanks to the #Blackout day, they had a higher sense of confidence about their race. Overall, the movement not only showed support of black ethnicities throughout social media, but also posed to work on better representing people of all races.