Recognition where needed

Some of the Lake Central cheerleaders stand up to be recognized at the Winter Sports Banquet. The cheerleaders were recognized for their academic achievements, as well as excelling at State and Nationals this year.

A lack of sports programs is not an issue for Lake Central, and because of this, many students are given the opportunity to excel in the sport they choose and love. The Winter Sports Banquet is one of the banquets held to recognize those students who choose to participate in school’s sports.

“I think the sports banquet is fantastic because it brings your team together again for one more night, and we can all be happy,” Hailey Garlich (12) said.

As well as recognizing the winter sports teams as a whole, the coaches take a few minutes to recognize individual students who went above and beyond during their season.

“As a team, we had one of the best seasons for an LC boys swim team in a long time. We accomplished so much as a team, and as an individual, I also had some great accomplishments with breaking the records in the 200 [individual medley] and the 100 [butterfly],” Joshua Barajas (12) said.

Many students who were present at the banquet were recognized in each sport for their academic achievements as well as being involved in a sport.

“Being in a sport is conducive to keeping up my grades because it gives me discipline and a schedule to follow,” Karlie Vanhouten (12) said.