False start on April Fool’s Day

The varsity girls softball team faced off against Penn High School at home on Wednesday, April 1. The game was marked to begin at 4:30 p.m., but due to Penn’s late arrival, it did not begin until 5:20 p.m. The game shifted back and forth in favor of both teams, but resulted in a victory for Penn with a final score of 5-3.

“I think the game is going to go really well. Penn is a really good team and has a lot of talent, but I think we can match them. We will hit their pitcher well,” Aspyn Novak (12) said.

At the beginning of the first inning, Novak came home on a single, putting the Lady Indians on the scoreboard. Shortly after, in the second inning, third baseman Maddie Blythe (10) turned a double play, allowing LC to hold on to the lead. At the beginning of the fourth inning the Lady Kingsmen stole the lead by one, but the score was soon tied by pitcher/outfielder Julia Schassburger (11).

“[When I tied the game], I was just thinking about helping my team out. I knew we were going to come back and fight, so I was hoping we were going to win because of our drive,” Schassburger said.

The start of the fifth inning began with the Indians leading by one, but the team soon fell behind in the seventh inning when the Lady Kingsmen took the lead by one point once again.

“It was a typical game between Penn and Lake Central. They are always close and down to the wire. I really liked how we put ourselves in a position in the bottom of the seventh inning. We had a chance to tie our win. Sometimes mentally it’s hard to get yourselves back in it, and I feel we did a very good job [getting back out there]. We could have played better defense.” Coach Jeffrey Sherman, Math, said.