Q&A with Gillian Suroviak (9)

Gillian Suroviak (9) practices footwork drills with her soccer ball. Suroviak played for Lake Central this past fall.

Q: How long have you been playing soccer?

A: I started Schererville soccer when I was four, and I still play for them today.

Q: What is your favorite part of playing soccer?

A: [My favorite part is] the life lessons it teaches me, and the things it has taught me about myself, [also] how every game and every play its something new to learn from.

Q: What position do you play? Why do you play that position?

A: I play forward, which is a striker position. I play that position because I like to take control of the score and make goals no matter what.

Q: Why do you love soccer? What is the most interesting part of the sport?

A: I love soccer because it is something I can use to bond with my dad and connect more with my family.

Q: What is your favorite drill to do at practice? Why?

A: I like to do a drill called Nike and Adidas, because it helps understand the positions.

Q: What is one of your favorite soccer memories?

A: When [my team and I] found out we made the Lake Central soccer team. We weren’t sure we made it, but [Coach Shawn Thomas] kinda said suddenly that we made the team.

Q: Does soccer ever interfere with your school and social life? If so, how?

A: I have to turn down my friends on weekends, and it’s a conflict, but it is worth it.

Q: What is your advice to anyone who is interested in playing soccer?

A: Be ready. Never walk out onto the field not willing to give 150 percent effort, otherwise you have already let the other team win. Always be willing to learn from your coaches, teammates and the game.