Q&A: Sarah Colby (12)

Sarah Colby (12) makes sure the actors in her show are saying their lines correctly. She made the decision to direct two shows about the Holocaust.

Q: How many shows have you directed?

A: This will be the third or fourth show I’ve directed.

Q: What is your favorite part about directing?

A: I really like just seeing my visions come to life. When I see something in my head I’m like, ‘Oh, I want to see what this looks like on stage,’ so seeing it come to life just makes me really happy.

Q: What is the hardest part about directing?

A: Sometimes the hardest part is like making sure all your actors meet the deadlines you give them, because I’m a very laid back person, and sometimes people take advantage of that.

Q: Did you come up with the idea to do a play for History Club?

A: Yeah, I did. I really liked [my freshmen show], and I was looking at more concentration camp things, and I saw another play that I really liked.

Q: What is the show about?

A: That show is called “I Never Saw Another Butterfly,” and it’s about these kids in a concentration camp. It pretty much follows all of the little things that happen in the camp, and it’s kind of like a bunch of diary entries put together. It’s really good.

Q: Are there people who have not acted before in the show?

A: I know there’s one kid who’s a junior, and this is his first time ever on stage. There’s another girl. She only was in freshmen shows. She was never in theater after that.

Q: What is it like working with them?

A: They learn really quickly, so it’s actually a good experience for them, for me [and] for everybody.

Q: When is the play going to be performed?

A: [It will be performed] May 15 and 16 at 6:00 p.m. both nights.