Clash of the Indians

+Lauren+Gronek+%2810%29+hits+the+ball+over+the+net.++Gronek+played+varsity+No.+2+singles.+
Lauren Gronek (10) hits the ball over the net. Gronek played varsity No. 2 singles.

On Tuesday, April 28, the Lady Indians met with the rival Indians, Portage, on the tennis courts.  The matches were intense with JV taking the win and varsity suffering a close loss.

“We tried our hardest, and this is just our first loss, so we are doing really well.  We will just bring it back tomorrow and do better,” Lauren Gronek (10) said.

With tennis being a sport of high concentration and skill, the matches get very intense.

“You get like an adrenaline rush, and you just feel like you could do anything. When you hit the ball or hit an ace you just feel unstoppable,” Gronek said.

The girls did not let their loss bring them down, but instead they focused on showing good sportsmanship and positivity.

I just wanted to get every ball back, stay calm and make sure all my calls were honest. [The other team] played really well. We were about even, I’d say, and that’s why it was so close. I think that’s how all the courts were pretty much,” Anna Wachowski (10) said.

Team bonding and support is critical for the girls. No matter what the outcome of the match is, the girls remains a closely knit team.

“We always have a team huddle with our coaches, and they tell us what we are going to strive for and give us encouraging words. Then we have our team huddle, and we basically give each other our last words of encouragement. We always say, ‘Doubles hit the alley, singles good luck,’” Katrina Lozanoski (10) said.

The next girls tennis game is Wednesday, April 29, at the Lake Central courts against Munster.