Teen Wolf, with a twist

Dylan O’Brien films a scene with one of his co-stars for the hit MTV show, Teen Wolf. The summer season returned for a two-night premiere on June 29 and June 30.

For Teen Wolf fans, the beginning of the summer brings the anticipated premiere of a new season. On June 29 and 30, dedicated fans tuned in to MTV to catch the two-night premiere of season five of the show.

Though characters have rotated and the plot has thickened in this thriller, basic elements have remained the same. As always, Lydia Martin (Holland Roden) utilizes her supernatural powers, Stiles Stilinski (Dylan O’Brien) has his suspicions of new characters and a plethora of new werewolves arrive on scene.

The opening episode gives an air of nostalgia as the pack reminisces on their high school years and fears a future without each other. However, the new season has maintained the status of a supernatural series since 2011. The show that once started out as an innocent series now leaves goosebumps on those who tune in.

The fact that the premiere was extended over two nights was convenient, since the first episode left fans wondering what was going on at Beacon Hills. The show opened with a scene in which Lydia continued to cope with her supernatural powers, which was then put aside to introduce the new werewolf in town, Theo Baker (Cody Christian). As a result of negative outcomes in past seasons, however, the clan is hesitant of who they should trust.

With all the horrific events in past seasons, what will be the outcome of this one? Will Scott (Tyler Posey) trust the new wolf in town? Tune in to the remainder of Season 5 on Monday July 6, airing on MTV at 9 p.m. CDT to find out.