Making it rain at Lollapalooza

Artist Shakey Graves plays at the Palladia stage. Festival goers waited half an hour at the stage for the performance to begin.

Lollapalooza, an annual festival in Chicago, was held on July 31-Aug. 2 at Grant Park. A total of 141 artists played at Lollapalooza including Paul McCartney, Metallica, Florence + the Machine, Sam Smith, Bassnectar and The Weeknd. The festival features attractions for all ages, including Kidspalooza for children.

“My favorite part was seeing all the performers live and being able to be in a huge crowd that admired the music as much as I did. I would definitely go again because I loved the music and the atmosphere,” Alexis Kelly (11) said.

Usually, Lollapalooza continues rolling through rain or shine, but on Aug. 3 winds up to 60 mph ripped banners down while artists were playing. At 2:30 p.m., the park was evacuated due to approaching severe storms. Emergency shelters underneath the park were available for festival goers. Some assumed that the festival wouldn’t continue throughout the day. Gates reopened at 3:30 p.m. and music resumed at 4 p.m. An adjusted schedule was posted on the official Lollapalooza website.

“When the park was evacuated, everyone was very upset and mad. It was a struggle to even get out of the park, but when we finally did, I called my brother, Ethan Gomez (‘15) who was also at the fest so we could meet up. The day then continued like normal [when the gates reopened],” Isabella Gomez (11) said.

Music lovers continue to go to Lollapalooza year after year, but others do not go again due to the first experience. If you plan on going next year, ask recurring audience members about their experience and for advice about making it through the weekend and still having a good time.

“The advice I would have to give people going next year is don’t plan your outfit for looks, plan it to be comfortable, according to the weather and remember it’s going to be hotter at the stages because of all the people smashing together. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes,” Gomez  said.

If you missed Lollapalooza, videos of the performances are available on the official Lollapalooza website. Catch Lollapalooza next year on July 29-31, 2016.