Lady Indians lose battle against Mustangs

Sydney Dragos (10) fights to get past the Munster player to reach the ball. The Indians fought for a chance to score in the second half, chasing Munster’s lead of 2-1.

The varsity soccer team took a tough loss against Munster in a true battle of a game on Thursday, Sept. 3. The Indians fell to the Mustangs 2-1.

“Considering we tied them the last two times we played them in absolute wars, I was expecting another war, and that’s what we had. Getting beat on a free kick over the goalie’s head obviously hurt, but overall I think we played a good game,” Coach Shawn Thomas said.

Although the Indians let two goals get by, Madison Berumen (12) put them back in the game by scoring on a penalty kick in the second half of the game. The penalty kick was awarded after a foul in the box against Munster.

“It felt good [to score] because I wanted to keep us in it. This is our third game in a row, so I think we held them pretty good for having three hot days in a row,” Berumen said.

The soccer team had two games the two days prior to this one, and all three games were played in around 90-degree heat.

“The girls played as hard as they could coming off of three games in a row in 90-degree heat. That’s a lot of fatigue, and they did everything I asked them. Coming out of this, all we’re going to do is train to fix technical errors and then continue to play hard,” Coach Thomas said.

The soccer team’s next game is against Andrean on Tuesday, Sept. 8, at home.