Battle of the Indians

Austin Atkins (11) tries to push a Portage player out of the way. Shortly after, Atkins got the third touchdown of the night.

The varsity football team dominated against the Portage Indians Friday, Sept. 4. The Lake Central Indians ended up winning the game 48-28.  

The stands were filled with ambitious students, parents and staff to support the team.

“We [felt] pretty good [going into this game] from the first two weeks. We feel we’ve gotten better, and [we were] excited about playing tonight,” Head Coach Brett St. Germain said.

After the first quarter, the Lake Central Indians lead 21-0. The boys took over the field during the first half with six touchdowns. Austin Chekaluk (12) earned the team seven points from field goals.  

“I thought we would do pretty well. I had high hopes, and look what happened,” Austin Chekaluk (12) said.

After beating the East Chicago Cardinals last week 54-14, the boys had a little run for their money this week against Portage.

“We knew we would play solid. The whole team was pretty locked in the locker room, [and we had] pretty solid practices this week. We knew what we were doing, and we played pretty well,” Walter Dahlkamp (12) said.

At the end of the game, the boys walked away with their heads held high.

“I expected us to do pretty well. They did a good job up front, but like I said, we did a pretty good job too. The scoreboard shows [that],” Dakota Barnett (11) said.

The next home game is Friday Sept. 11, where the team will take on another rival, Crown Point.