NHS kicks off new year

Ms. Rhonda York, English, talks about the blood drives throughout the year. They have been planned to take place in the months of September and April.

National Honors Society had its first meeting of the school year on Thursday, Sept. 3  in the LGI Room.

“NHS is for students that have a 3.33 grade point average, and they have to show character, leadership and service. We do different activities throughout the community,” Ms. Rhonda York, English, said.

NHS does a lot of activities to help the community. The blood drive is one of the many activities they participate in.

“The blood drive is my favorite. It’s a good chance for students to be able to help others, and it’s open to the whole school,” Ms. York said.

NHS offers volunteer opportunities to its members. There are many chances to get involved with your community.

“In NHS, I plan to volunteer a lot because I do that already, and that is why I chose to be in NHS,” Christian Ivezic (12) said.

Although NHS is good for the community, there are some struggles to deal with when joining NHS.

“There are definitely struggles because I am also in marching band, so having to do all these activities [is stressful]. Then on top of that, [I need to] get some extra [volunteer] hours to help people out. [It] is definitely a struggle. [Finding time] after school is hard when I already have band practice,” Ivezic said.

Despite the struggles, NHS is ready to begin the year.        

“I’m really looking forward to working with this group of people this year,” Ms. York said.