Freshmen volleyball team connects on and off the court

Talia+Gruthusen+%289%29++pancakes+the+volleyball+before+it+drops+to+the+floor.+Gruthusen+got+the+ball+up+and+the+Indians+scored.+
Talia Gruthusen (9) pancakes the volleyball before it drops to the floor. Gruthusen got the ball up and the Indians scored.

The freshmen girls volleyball team quickly learned that a little team bonding can go a long way both on and off the court after a 25-10, 25-18 victory over the Michigan City Wolves on Tuesday, Sept. 8.

After last Wednesday’s mandatory team bonding after practice, the team felt stronger. The girls became both closer as friends and as teammates.

“We connected well and came together as a team, and it really showed on the court. We played like one team,” Taylor Robinson (9) said.

The team started off strong in the first set, but had a closer win in the second.

“I think we played really well the first set. We had a lot of heart and energy. The second set I think we lost some of our momentum and got distracted. [We] were thinking about our mistakes,” Mallory Uzelac (9) said.

The team has been impacted by the seven seniors on the varsity level.

“We want to improve what we bring to the court as individuals as well as working together as a team so that we can play as comfortably as the seniors do. They are great role models, and I think we all want to step up our games to fill the gaps they will leave behind in the program after this season,” Hope Huenecke (9) said.