A whole new world

Joshua Sterne (12) presents his trip from this past summer. Attendees to the meeting were Mrs. Nancy Tilka, World Language, Nyia Guy (11), Emma DeGroot (11), Leslie Lopez (12), Emily Hansen (12), and Elise Classen (12).

For those passionate about foreign languages, the Indiana University Honors Program in Foreign Languages is the gateway to immersing themselves into a culture and learning all that they can. The first meeting for IUHPFL took place on Thursday, Sept. 17.

“I really wanted to go for the experience. It’s just a very unique program, simply because there are not a lot of programs that are complete [immersed] like that one is, where you’re only allowed to speak that language,” Leslie Lopez (12) said.

Lopez traveled to France this summer to experience the seven-week program for herself.

“Their application process is specifically made to weed out people who don’t want to do the work and don’t want it enough to actually do the work to get there. If you’re interested, you should at least try,” Lopez said.

Lopez’s advice to interested students has encouraged them to take the same challenge that she did.

“I love Spanish, and I love speaking in Spanish and getting better acquainted with the language and culture. I wanted to [do] hands-on experience [like] that,” Nyia Guy (11) said.