Varsity boys soccer takes tough loss to Chesterton

Cole Rainwater (9) competes with a Chesterton player for the ball during the game. The next game will take place on next Wednesday, Sept. 23 at Valparaiso.

On Wednesday, Sept. 16 the boys varsity soccer team took a defeat from Chesterton.

Wednesday’s game set up the opportunity for the Indians to take the number one spot in the Duneland Athletic Conference. The Trojans held onto the first-place title with a 3-0 win.

“I expected it to be a well-fought DAC match. We knew that going into the game they were going to be a tough opponent; they were ranked number one in the state,” Coach Jereme Rainwater, Vocational, said.

The team had a tough time accepting the loss to the Trojans.

“It definitely was not our best game. We barely had possession; we couldn’t get out of the back.  We only had three or four opportunities to actually score,” Miguel Palcios (12) said.

With Wednesday being the last home game of the season, the team celebrated senior night.  There are five seniors this year, Benjamin Klebs, Chandler Duncanson, Miguel Palcios, Nathan Puch and Michael McClelland, who will be finishing their last season of playing soccer at Lake Central.

“On senior night I usually write them a letter. We have some of the underclassmen parents put together poster boards where they have pictures of when they were younger. We take their senior pictures and [the vocational printing class] makes some banners. Then after the game, the moms get a refreshment thing going in the town square, and everyone meets there and reflects on the last four years. A lot of different people come together to make sure the night goes really well,” Coach Rainwater said.

The next game will be on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at Valparaiso.