Coming together for MS

People from the walk gather together and wait for the walk to begin. The walk started at 10 AM.

On Saturday, Sept. 9 people from Northwest Indiana gathered to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis. The one to three mile walk took place at Wicker Park in Munster and had music stands with people selling orange accessories and food.  

“[I’m walking] for my Aunt Karen and cousin Sarah, to find a cure for MS,” Taylor Lush (10) said.

People of all ages and abilities were taking part in the walk. At the beginning of the event, before the walk, people gathered to do morning stretches led by an instructor. Walk attendees also  bought orange wristbands to show their support, helped raise money, spoke with others and shared their stories.

“I loved the fact that I was surrounded by a ton of people working for the same cause. Everyone was so passionate and full of fight,” Lush said.

Some walkers had organized teams, made shirts and signs and brought spirit to the walk. Volunteers cheered people on along the side of the paths, and handed out water along the way.

“The chance to raise awareness and money for a cure helps give closure to the people who are affected. It changes my everyday life, and makes me worry about my mom more than others. Being able to be a part of something like this give me hope,” Kylie Diviney (9) said.