Freshman volleyball smashes LaPorte

The freshman volleyball team waits patiently for the opposing LaPorte player to serve. The girls won the match 2-0.

Nicole Reitz

On Thursday Oct. 8, the freshman volleyball team defeated the LaPorte Slicers in two sets.

“We lost the first time we played [La Porte] and we all didn’t expect [to win this time],” Emily Van Deursen (9) said.

The girls started out strong in the first set, winning 25-15. In the second set, the girls struggled, but came out successful to win the set 25-24.

“We did really good. That was one team that beat us [earlier this season] and we wanted to beat them the whole season,” Alexa Sherlund (9) said.

As the season comes to a close, the girls reflect back on their achievements this year.

“This year we played really strong. We kept the freshmen streak, and we are really high in [the] conference,” Taylor Robinson (9) said.

The girls look ahead to next season as their last game approaches, and their current season nears the close.

“I am really excited, and I am hoping to make [JV] next year, so I am going to work really hard for it,” Robinson said.

The last game is an away game on Tuesday, Oct.13 against the Valparaiso Vikings.