Students receive AP-TIP IN checks

Leslie Lopez (12) receives her AP-TIP IN Student Incentive check on Oct. 12. Lopez was one of the 275 students who received a score of a 3 or higher on qualifying Advanced Placement tests.

Starting on Oct. 12, 275 students who earned a 3 or higher on qualifying AP tests received money from the Advanced Placement Training Incentive Program Indiana (AP-TIP IN).

The AP-TIP IN grant gives $100 to any student who got a 3 or higher on any AP Math, Science or English tests. Lake Central earned a total of 404 qualifying scores, and the students will be paid a total of $40,400. Lake Central is one of 30 schools in Indiana that receives this grant money.

“I think it’s awesome they’re rewarding us for our hard work. It keeps students motivated to do well on the AP exams. I’m [going to put] my money in the bank,” Niji Shah (12) said.
The 2015-2016 school year is the final year for the grant. Any student who scores a 3 or higher on an AP Math, Science or English test in May will receive their check next school year. Students who do not pick up their checks will have them mailed home.