Q&A: Alexa Spasevski (10)

Alexa Spasevski (10) volunteers at an offsite Alsip to the Rescue event. The purpose of the event was to spread awareness about the rescue and introduce people to adoptable pets. Photo submitted by Alexa Spasevski

Q: How long have you been volunteering at Alsip to the Rescue (ATTR)?

A: [I have been volunteering] since January 2015.

Q: How often do you volunteer?

A: [The time I volunteer] varies. I usually volunteer between two [and] three times a week.

Q: What do you do as a volunteer?

A: [As a volunteer,] I do the routine things such as walking dogs, cleaning kennels, washing dishes, doing laundry and feeding the animals. I also help with offsite events, in-store events, transporting animals to the rescue [and] intake, which is when we have to vet and check in new rescues. I help with the adoptions [and] foster dogs.

Q: Is it ever hard to part with the dogs after they are adopted?

A: At times it is difficult [to say goodbye], but it is all worth it when I get to see the dogs in their own home.

Q: What would you say is the most rewarding part of volunteering with the rescue is?

A: The most rewarding part of volunteering is when I get to see a family fall in love with a dog, especially when it is one of our severe abuse cases or dogs who have been at the rescue for a while.

Q: What are the requirements for a person to adopt a pet from ATTR?

A: The general requirements are you have to be 18 years and older, and if you have another dog you have to do a meet and greet if you are adopting a dog. Certain dogs have specific requirements, so it varies to an extent. There is an application online at alsiptotherescue.org.

Q: How can someone become a volunteer?

A: You just have to fill out a volunteer application online. The application is on the website. Our volunteer coordinator will then contact you to set up an orientation. The orientations usually take about 45 minutes andy you can start volunteering that day. However, if you are under 16 you have to have a parent with you.