Flying with hope

Chicago Cubs fans in the bleachers wave their “W” signs after Game 3 of the National League Division Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs on Monday, Oct. 12, 2015, at Wrigley Field in Chicago. (Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS)

Although the Chicago Cubs added another tally to the number of years since their last championship, optimism remains in the minds of fans. Fans see this season as a sign of possible success due to their accomplishments thus far.

“I think this years’ team had a lot of potential and the vibe they gave off got everyone excited. They made us believe we had a chance,” Olivia Born (11) said.

The young talent on the North Side has been the storyline this season, but the leadership of older players has been just as important. The return of players such as first basemen Anthony Rizzo, pitcher Jake Arrieta and the hiring of Manager Joe Maddon has been just as important to the Cubs’ success.

“The hiring of Joe Maddon definitely improved the Cubs’ chances of making the playoffs, and I feel like [Rizzo and Arrieta] had a team to support them. They fit well with Joe Maddon’s scheme,” Eric Blankenship (11) said.

Even though the 2015 Chicago Cubs were not the team to break the curse, they will definitely be remembered in Chicago history for exceeding low expectations and making exciting plays on the field.
“My favorite memory from this year was when I went to the Cubs and [Colorado] Rockies game, and Kris Bryant hit a walk off home run.  It really added a lot of excitement heading into the playoffs,” Born said.