Service of the stouthearted

Marty Dzieglowicz, POW/MIA speaker, addresses the audience. Shortly after the ceremony, U.S. Congressman Pete Visclosky spoke.

On Thursday, Nov. 12, students and staff gathered in the gymnasium for the Inaugural Veterans Day Program, where the attending servicemen and women were honored.

“The greatest thing about all of it, besides the veterans, was the students’ reaction. [Even though] this was our first assembly, we will build off it and get better and better,” Mr. Thomas Clark, Social Studies, said.

The introduction of the assembly included the posting of colors by members of the Indiana National Guard. After the posting, the national anthem was sung by the Lake Central Trebleaires.

“We have been working on [our performance] since September. I had to rewrite the song since it wasn’t in acapella. There has been a lot of time put into [the assembly]. The History Club did a great job and [as for] the students at Lake Central, their behavior was awesome. Considering it was only the second time over 4,000 kids were all in the same place, they were very quiet [during the performance]. I was impressed. It was a very good assembly,” Ms. Sandy Hobbs, Art, said.

A brief introduction was given by Lt. Col. Sean Begley, Principal. Dr. Larry Veracco, Superintendent, surprised Mr. Begley by acknowledging that he received the Meritorious Service Medal on Sunday, Nov. 8, for his service while Battalion Commander of the 113th Engineer Battalion.

“More kids need to understand that [Mr. Begley] is extremely humble and not aggressive about lauding his accomplishments. The award he received Sunday is not the first time he received that award. He is prototypical, low key, non-attention seeking. Not many gentlemen would leave their three boys and their beautiful bride to go serve more than once overseas. Being an officer takes the [National] Guard to a whole new level in regards to sacrifice and time commitment,” Mr. Tim Powers, Assistant Principal, said.

“Imagine” by John Lennon was performed by the trebleaires after Mr. Tom Clark, Social Studies, delivered his keynote speech. Shortly after, a tribute to honor prisoners of war and those missing in action took place.

“The POW/MIA ceremony is a single table that represents all of the veterans that could not be with us today. It is customary whenever you have a luncheon or dinner,” Jovana Dodevska (12) said.

U.S. Congressman Pete Visclosky was also present at the event and spoke after a brief introduction. Following Congressman Visclosky’s statement, awards were presented to Mrs. Louise Tallent, Family and Consumer Sciences, for her father who served in WWII.

“I was very surprised. I had no idea. They [previously] mentioned to be available, and when they told me [their intentions for the assembly] I was overcome with emotions. [My father was] a tank driver. He was a great man,” Mrs. Tallent said.

Following the conclusion of the assembly, a luncheon was given to cater food and refreshments for attending veterans.