Holiday Traditions

Chris Ware illustration of family making a car trip during Christmas. Photo used with limited license; MCT campus.

Leaves have begun to fall and freeze over. Warm smells of cinnamon, pumpkin spice and peppermint lattes fill the air throughout the holiday seasons. With all of these reminiscent smells, families begin to prepare for the holidays. This is a time to celebrate and come together, to continue traditions and spend time with family.   

“Some traditions my family and I do is that we go to an apple orchard and pick apples and after we go on a hayride. Afterwards, we all come together at my grandma’s house and we take the apples we picked from the orchard, mainly Honeycrisp, and bake our very own apple pie,” Audrey Sobolewski (11) said.

When snow begins to fall, traditions begin to emerge. Christmas time brings along hearty family memories.
“A week before Christmas, my dad, my sister and I go to my grandparents’ house and make homemade cookies and perogies. On Christmas Eve, my entire family goes to my grandma’s house. Every year we get new pajamas [from my grandma], and we wear them as we open presents,” Sobolewski said.