Caroling through Christmas

Charles Bloom color illustration of carolers with holiday songbooks. The Kansas City Star 2007

carolers illustration christmas carols caroler sing singing singer song songs songbook holiday icons holly santa bell snowman angel choir music musical notes. Used with limited license by mctcampus.com

‘Tis the season to be listening to Christmas songs. With the same songs being played in the car and in stores, it is easy to get sick of them fast. In order to prevent the bah humbug feeling, here’s a countdown of twelve Christmas songs that will have everyone singing around the open fire.

1. “Santa Baby” Madonna: The song that people either love or hate. Madonna puts her 80s pop queen spin on this 1953 classic.
  1. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” Sam Smith: The breakout popstar shows off his vocal power in his cover. Caution: It might result in tears of joy.
  1. “Jingle Bell Rock” Bobby Helms: The upbeat song makes one want to get up and dance. Bonus points if it is accompanied by the dance from Mean Girls, you go Glenn Coco.
  1. “Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree” Brenda Lee: This song was featured in Home Alone. Make sure to set up a ploy for burglars while listening.
  1. “Last Christmas” Taylor Swift: Taylor Swift’s songs narrate one’s life. It is no surprise this pop queen’s rendition on a classic has become the new classic.
  1. “Blue Christmas” Elvis: Elvis’s voice croons in listener’s ears, creating a calm effect. It takes a different pace than most Christmas songs and is a good break.
  1. “The Christmas Song” Pentatonix: This new acapella group quickly dominated Christmas music with the release of their holiday album last year. This song will give one the chills and be on repeat way past Christmas.
  1. “Happy Xmas (War is over)” John Lennon: The former Beatles member released this song as a protest against the Vietnam War. The song has stuck around much longer.
  1. “Baby it’s Cold” Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone: Leon Redbone takes over vocal leads for Will Ferrell in the song well known for being in Elf. Please do not try to duet this song in the girl’s locker room.
  1. “Christmas Canon” Trans-Siberian Orchestra: This full instrumental song starts off slow and then slowly turns into a jam-out session in the car. One will air guitar in this song, it is guaranteed.
  1. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” Mariah Carey: This is self-explanatory.

1. Anything by Michael Bublé: Bublé is literally the Santa Claus of Christmas songs. The Canadian perfects every song on          the list and should have his own Christmas special until the day he dies.