Q&A: Hannah Souronis (11)

Hannah Souronis (11) acts on the new stage. The auditorium will be the home of the musical “The Little Mermaid” in March.

Hannah Souronis (11) received the role of Ariel in this year’s upcoming musical “The Little Mermaid.” Souronis has been in many Lake Central Theatre Productions since her freshman year but this role will be her biggest one yet. As rehearsals for the production begin, Souronis starts her journey under the sea.

Q: What is it like to play the role of Ariel in “The Little Mermaid?

A: It’s really exciting. It’s a big honor to be able to play the leading role in the first show in the new auditorium, and I’m really honored and excited to be able to play her.

Q: What are you looking forward to?

A: I’m really looking forward to the whole process [in general] because I think it’s going to be really fun. Once you really perform the show is when you start to love it, [but] once it’s in front of an audience it’s almost over. When you’re rehearsing it, it’s like you have so much potential.

Q: What is it like to be in the new auditorium?

A: It’s really scary. I walked in there for the first time and I was like, ‘Wow! This is a lot of people.’ I expected it to be big, but when I walked in, it was unbelieveable. I stepped out there with Will [Kruzan (11)], who’s playing Eric, and we were like, ‘we’re going to have to be out here alone and singing, and I don’t even know how we are going to do this.’

Q: What are some challenges with being the lead in a big production?

A: There’s a lot of responsibility. Not only is the team of directors depending on you, but the whole cast is depending on you and everyone who is taking part in it. All the parents who are volunteering and the staff and the school who is helping out [also depend on you]. It’s on your shoulders, and you’re like, ‘if I don’t uphold this role to what it should be, it’s not worth it,’ so it’s really scary.

Q: How many years have you been acting?

A: I’ve been acting for seven years. I started at Kolling Elementary School in their play, ‘Symbols of Freedom.’ I was the narrator.

Q: What is your favorite part about playing Ariel?

A: I like the songs, the music is really pretty and I’m really excited. All my friends are in it, so I’m just really excited to be there having fun with my friends.

Q: What was your reaction when you found out you got casted as Ariel?

A: I cried, well I kind of did. I was sitting at my kitchen table and someone texted me and they said, ‘Did you see [the cast list]?’ and I was like, ‘oh no,’. [When] I looked at the list, and I saw my name was first, and it [read] ‘Ariel: Hannah Souronis,’ and I just jumped up. My mom and dad were watching football or something, and I was like, ‘Guys, wait, I just got Ariel,’ and I was running around screaming and then I called [Aaron Cappello (10)] and we were just crying. I [didn’t understand] why I cried so much, but it was so exciting.

Q: What are the dates the show will be running?

A: The show dates are Friday, March 4, Saturday, March 5, Sunday, March 6, and then also Thursday, March 10, Friday, March 11, and Saturday, March 12.