Q & A: Alexander Morgan (12)

Alexander Morgan (12) prepares to dive. Morgan was waiting for the signal to start. Photo by: Victoria Wilkes

Q: How long have you been in diving?

A: [I have been diving] since freshman year. I tried out for the team, and ever since then I’ve been on the club and high school team.

Q: How long have you been on varsity?

A: [I have been on varsity] all four years.

Q: How many college offers did you get?

A: I only got one official offer, but I was given potential offers from three schools.

Q: What college did you sign for?

A: [I signed for the] University of Denver.

Q: How long have you known that you wanted to dive in college?

A: [I have wanted to dive in college] since the summer after my freshman year.

Q: What are you looking forward to most in diving in college?

A: [I am] looking forward to the opportunities that it’s going to open up, and it’s nice that [diving] is going to make [college] more affordable. It will be fun because I’m going really far away, and it’s going to be nice having a team there so I will already have friends on my first day.

Q: What are some of the best parts of being in diving?

A: It’s not a sport that a lot of people do, so when you’re good at it people think it’s unique. [Because there is] not a lot of people doing it, there are a lot of scholarships available for kids. You don’t have to be the best of the best [to receive aid]. You just have to be pretty good.

Q: What are some of your strengths?

A: I’m good at platform, which is something not a lot of divers can say. I think that’s something unique about me from others.

Q: What is it like diving on the varsity team?

A: I’ve never really thought about it because I have always been on it. Freshman year there were five of us, so we were competing for the varsity spot. The last three years there has just been three or fewer of us, so I always just kind of assumed I would be on varsity.