Academy Awards approaching

As Oscar nominations are released for the public to see, pop culture lovers begin eagerly filling out their predictions for the upcoming winners. The Oscars are filmed live on Sunday, Feb. 28.

On Sunday, Feb. 28, the Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, will air live on ABC. With an estimated 10 actors, 10 actresses and 25 movies nominated, the show is guaranteed to be a great deal for pop culture loving people.

“I’m rooting for ‘Room’ for Best Picture because it was an interesting story that you don’t see a lot. It was a really cool movie and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes a twisted, unique story,” Taylor Gleason (10) said.

Hollywood actors and actresses such as Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo Dicaprio, Eddie Redmayne and Sylvester Stallone have been nominated for Best Actor/Actress. However, the actors’ or actresses’ chance of winning increases if he or she has won a Golden Globe for the same role.

“[I’m rooting for] Bryan Cranston and [Jennifer] Lawrence. They are both strong characters and can take on any role,” Dana Brownewell (10) said.

According to GoldDerby’s predicting, George Miller is predicted to win Best Director and the movie “Spotlight” for Best Picture.