Day of love

Candy hearts are a traditional Valentine’s Day candy. These are usually sold only around Valentine’s Day.

Valentine’s Day was originally based off of Lupercalia, a festival and feast day of Juno Februata. While Valentine’s Day is about Saint Valentine, people enjoy it for other reasons aside from its origins and choose to celebrate it in their own ways.

“I enjoy Valentine’s Day because everyone is nice to everyone on that day,” Maxwell Born (9) said.

Aside from its original meaning, Valentine’s Day has many new traditions and meanings. Some new traditions include buying candy, gifts, cards and flowers for a significant other.

“[The best gift I have ever received on Valentine’s Day was] a nice bracelet from my boyfriend,” Alexis Miestowski (10) said.

Even though it is generally celebrated in those ways, some people celebrate it differently or enjoy the holiday for alternative reasons.

“I only like Valentine’s Day because I get candy from people,” Samantha Walker (10) said.

Valentine’s Day is a not a worldwide holiday, but it is celebrated in most countries. It is celebrated throughout the United States, but not everyone celebrates it or has someone to celebrate it with. Some people celebrate with their friends or family as opposed to a significant other.

“I’m going to hang out with my friends and do fun things that day,” Walker said.