Blazing their way to Sectionals

Norell Smith (11) jumps to get a lay up. Smith got the basket during the fourth quarter.

The boys varsity basketball team played the Marquette Blazers Tuesday, Feb. 23. Lake Central ended up beating the Blazers 56-43. This was the Indians last home game of the season.

At the beginning of the game, the Blazers were ahead by two points. However, at the start of the second period the Indians changed that. Lake Central took the lead and held on to it throughout the rest of the game.

“I feel we played really well. Marquette is a very good team and we did well executing all our plays which led to our success. It feels like all the hard work is finally coming to realization,” Ryan Bereda (12) said.

At the end of the night, the Indians took home the win for Lake Central. This concluded the end of home games for the boys this season.

“I feel that this season is wrapping up pretty good. Last night should put us in the right direction for Sectionals,” Ethan Darter (12) said.

The boys ended up learning a lot about the game of basketball and learned how to have a better relationship with each other throughout the season.

“We learned a lot about each other’s advantages and disadvantages. We struggled earlier in the season but once we started to gel, we learned no one but ourselves could stop us,” Ryan Bereda (12) said.

The boys next game is against East Chicago on March 1.