School closings clarified

In the event that Lake Central is the target of a threat, law enforcement will become involved with the matter. Because Lake Central did not receive a direct bomb threat, school was in session Tuesday, April 12.

When police officials were informed of a bomb threat the evening of Monday, April 11, nine schools in NWI proceeded to cancel school for the following day. Of those impacted, the three from Lake Central School Corporation were Homan Elementary, Kolling Elementary and Clark Middle School.

“We got the call early in the morning basically informing us that the three schools were closed, and we were working with the St. John and Schererville Police Departments. They informed us that the high school was never threatened, and it was safe to have school,” Mr. Richard Moore, Assistant Principal, said.

In the event that Lake Central becomes the target of a threat, law enforcement will become involved with the matter.

“We have a threat assessment that we go through with law enforcement or our SRO. [Officer Brett Sidenbender is] our Student Resource Officer. If it’s ever determined that it is a viable threat or students would be in danger, we would make decisions such as cancelling school or other options,” Mr. Moore said.