Indians strike down Devils

Claire Gronek (10) returns a groundstroke to continue the rally between her and her Lowell opponent. Gronek played number two varsity singles in her match.

With the shuffle of bags and the clinking of fence gates closing, the tennis match was underway. The Lady Indians took on the Lowell Devils at Lowell High School on April 12 and walked away with a 5-0 win.

“It was a really good match, [and] our entire team played really well. We all wanted to win and we didn’t want JV to give up any matches either, which they didn’t,” Claire Gronek (10) said.

With it only being the second match of the season, some of the players are still adjusting to their new positions.

“My partner and I really felt like a doubles team. She has been playing doubles for three years, whereas I just started this year. I was formerly a singles player and I was a bit nervous going into doubles, but [my partner] and coaches are helping me adjust,” Anna Wachowski (11) said.

As it is in any sport, it’s is important to always aim for improvement. With the ease into the season, the girls are working on their technique to prepare for the hard competition later in the season.

“I think I did really well with consistency. I tried not to double fault at all and I only did a couple times,” Lauren Gronek (11) said.

There is always room for improvement, but some of the varsity players are feeling confident about this season. With goals in mind, they are ready to take on the teams to come.

“I feel like this year we have a really strong varsity. I personally feel like we are going to do good. We should try to go undefeated, that would be nice. We haven’t faced any hard competition yet, but I feel like we could do it,” Skylar Martens (11) said.