Overcoming the Oilers

Sydney+Batinick+%2810%29+prepares+for+her+opponent%E2%80%99s+serve.+Batinick+played+doubles+against+Whiting.+
Sydney Batinick (10) prepares for her opponent’s serve. Batinick played doubles against Whiting.

The JV and varsity girls tennis teams gathered on April 18 to face the Whiting Oilers. The girls defeated the Oilers with a final score of 4-1. Varsity finished 4-1 while JV finished 9-0. Being  currently undefeated in the season has struck up excitement amongst the girls.

“I’m pretty pumped honestly. So far, I’m undefeated in the season and so is the rest of the team. It’s really good,” Kaitlin George (11) said.

The Lady Indians anticipated an easy match, but the Oilers put up a fight. Some girls found their sets easy while others were considered strenuous.

“[Jeannine Toth (12)] and I won the first set, lost the second, won the third and won the match. It took a long time and it was definitely a difficult win. I was happy we pulled through,” Anna Wachowski (11) said.

Not only does teamwork and support come into play, but practice and dedication do as well.

“We can continue cheering each other on. I think we are all very supportive of one another. [We need to] grow skill wise and get more consistent with our playing,” Wachowski said.

The next match will be held on Thursday, April 21 at Portage High School.