Losing steam

Anthony Giles (12) hops out after scoring a touchdown. This was Giles first of three touchdowns of the night.

On Fri. Sept. 2, the Lake Central football players played against the Portage Vikings. The Indians traveled to Portage to face their opponents on their own turf.

“We felt the energy from the Portage fans, but it was an environment we weren’t used to playing in,” Joshua Benson (12) said.

Tied at the end of the first two quarters and leading the third, the boys were full of hype. The third quarter was especially memorable for the offensive line.

“[The most memorable moment was] definitely the last drive. When you get to the fourth quarter with a lead, as an offense, all you want to do is ice the game and win it,” Anthony Giles (12) said.

The energy the boys had in the third quarter was not carried through to the fourth. The game ended with Portage winning 33-36.

“I think we came out with low energy, and we made too many mistakes, which were correctable on both sides of the ball. When it was time to make a play, we failed to finish,” Benson said.

Besides the outcome, the members agree that there are things they need to work on. At the end of the night, a few lessons were learned.

“Two three-point losses feels terrible. [We] have to regroup and see what we can do to get better. We now know [that] if we come into an away game with no energy, we will get punched in the mouth,” Giles said.

The boys next game is this Fri., Sept. 9, at Crown Point.