The Indians get sliced

Anthony Giles (12) runs the ball down the field to gain yardage. Giles rushed 170 yards on 22 carries Friday night.

The Lake Central varsity football team took on La Porte on Friday, Sept. 16. The Indians lost to the Slicers with a final score of 35-17. At the end of the first quarter, the score was 7-0 with the Indians in the lead, but the Slicers took the lead right before halftime with a score of 14-10 and kept the advantage the rest of the game. After the game, the players knew what mistakes withheld them from their victory.

“The defense gave us some great opportunities to score, and we were fortunate enough to capitalize and score early in the game. What cost us the game though was the amount of penalties we had. We need to be more disciplined at the line of scrimmage,” Dakota Barnett (12) said.

The outcome of the game showed the players what areas they need more improvement in.

“We just need to work on getting better with the fundamentals like always and get ready for Michigan City. Most importantly though, we have to make sure no one checks out, and we keep our heads up,” Michael Pena (12) said.

Even though the Indians are now 1-4 with their season, the players are still motivated to finish out the season on a high note.

“I think some of our motivation is coming from the situation with Coach St. Germain, Head Coach. We know we have great athletes on our offense and defense, which helps keep us motivated as a team. We know that we’re going to come out with a win soon,” Barnett said.

The Indians will face the Chesterton Trojans at home on Friday, Sept. 30, for Lake Central’s homecoming game.