Phelps takes the stage

Phelps+takes+the+stage+for+the+first+time+at+Suncrest+Christian+church+to+teach+a+message+she+wanted+to+share+with+many+of+her+peers.++Phelps+spoke+about+how+she+loved+teaching+and+was+very+excited+to+pursue+her+teaching+career+in+the+future.+Photo+submitted+by+Haley+Phelps+
Phelps takes the stage for the first time at Suncrest Christian church to teach a message she wanted to share with many of her peers. Phelps spoke about how she loved teaching and was very excited to pursue her teaching career in the future. Photo submitted by Haley Phelps

Hailey Phelps (12) is an aspiring minister trying to make a difference in the world.  She currently inspires the kids in Young Life student ministry and is looking forward to continue this in her future.

“After graduating from Lake Central, I hope to move to Tennessee and go to Johnson University to study youth ministry and preaching. I will also get a minor in Bible studies,” Phelps said.

Finally deciding what she wants to do in the future, Phelps is now looking into different schools and preparing to leave what has been her home for the past four years.

“Johnson is my top school, and I’m also looking into Wheaton University, Olivet University and Indiana Wesleyan University,” Phelps said.

Although starting a new chapter in her life can be very exciting, taking new steps also includes fears.

“My biggest fear going into the future would be making money because youth ministers don’t make a lot of money. I’m a girl, so the chances of getting a job are a little bit smaller than if I were a guy.   I’m super scared of digging myself into debt and not being able to get out or not being able to support myself or my family if it comes to that,” Phelps said.

Phelps wouldn’t be where she is today if it weren’t for many close friends and mentors who help her along the way and inspire her to strive for her best.

“My biggest influences would definitely be Greg Lee [pastor at Suncrest Christian Church] and Will Ellis, my youth pastor, also Bredon Folk [my first youth pastor] because he is who got me started in my faith,” Phelps said.

Phelps has had a long journey so far and an even longer one ahead.  

“I started going to church when I was a freshman, and I fell in love with it. Eventually, I started teaching fifth graders in the church and that really got [me] thinking about making a career of it. I recently went to a camp called CIY Move, and it just locked in for me that I wanted to do something bigger than the normal,” Phelps said.