Q&A: Evelyn Reder (12)

Evelyn Reder (12) talks about the up and coming club called NWI Feminists. The club was created with no affiliation to Lake Central High School and is open to anyone.

Q: What is the main goal for the club?

A: Our club is the NWI Feminists and our main goal is to be a support system for each other and the community.

Q: When was the first meeting and how did it go?

A: I had the idea over a year ago, and the first meeting was amazing. Everyone was so open with each other and there was no judgement.

Q: How did you get the idea for the club?

A: I had the idea after feeling like women and other minorities did not have the outlet we all crave to talk, share art and poetry and help the community.

Q: Was the first meeting everything you expected, and were you nervous?

A: The only thing I was nervous about was other people being nervous, but I think as a group we overcame that nervousness very fast.

Q: How do you think this club will impact people who come and people who hear about it?

A: I hope the impact it has on people is just that we are not powerless because we are young, or women or people of color or LGBTQ+. We all very much have a voice, and we want to make an environment where everyone is heard.

Q: What do you have to say to people who disagree with feminism?

A: I think people who disagree with feminism are seeing it as a matriarchal type group, or a group that excludes white straight [cisgender] men, which it isn’t. Just because you are a man, doesn’t mean you aren’t welcomed. But when coming into an environment like this, we would all expect them to understand their privilege and not use it purely to their advantage, but use it to the communities advantage as well.  

Q: What does feminism mean to you?

A: Feminism to me means equality. And a term that may be unfamiliar to most white people is “intersectional feminism,” and intersectional feminism is what feminism is and should always be. Feminism isn’t just about women; it includes people of color, LGBTQ+ community, people who are disabled etc.

Q: Any future plans for the club?

A: Hopefully a lot of volunteering and spreading kindness and acceptance.

Q: Where can students reach your club because it isn’t school associated?

A: Students can reach us on social media as far as Instagram and Twitter @nwifeminists