Shooting for the win

Melina Boulas (9) protects the ball from a Portage player. The Lady Indians won with a score of 40-28.

The freshman girls basketball team faced off against the Portage Indians on Tuesday, Nov. 15. The Lady Indians proved their skill with a dazzling score of 40-28.

“I think we worked really well. We passed the ball a lot. The other team was pretty good, but we out hustled them,” Vanessa Anaya (9) said.

Following an upsetting loss to the Kankakee Valley Kougars, the freshmen picked their heads up and worked hard to clinch the next victory. The game started out strong, and the girls kept the momentum going.

“We’re getting better as the season goes on. If the girls just keep working hard, they’re going to get better, and we’re going to win more games, and that’s really ultimately what we want.” Head Coach, Brian McNamara, West Lake said.

As halftime passed and LC was winning, the crowd cheered them on. The girls look forward to working on their skills to keeping the victories coming.

“I think we’re doing pretty good. I think we still have to keep practicing, and we’ll get better,” Allison Mularski (9) said.

The next game will be on Nov. 21 against Hobart High School at 6 p.m.