Play hard, work harder

Reaching out for the ball, Amanda Robards (11) tries to fend off the competition. Robard’s efforts resulted in the jump ball being given to Lake Central.

The girls basketball season has officially begun, and preparation toward the season is the work that truly pays off. The Lady Indians showed off their hard work in their scrimmage against Andrean on Nov. 3.

“I thought we worked well as a team, and our practices leading up to the scrimmage definitely helped prepare us. I hope to keep seeing our work in practices pay off in games,” Kylie Fehrman (12) said.

Overall, the scrimmage showed positive results, but the team wishes to keep perfecting certain skills.

“We definitely need to work on our defense; specifically our boxing out and rebounding,” Fehrman said.

Head varsity Coach Marc Urban, Physical Education, stepped down after last season, leaving the team with an new coaching staff including Head Coach Joe Huppenthal, Mathematics, but a whole new coaching staff.

“Adjusting to a new coach has been different, but good. We all work together in order to make the transition easier on both the team and the coaching staff,” Fehrman said.  

The team might be under new management, but the girls still have the same goals in mind.

“This season, we hope to capture the Duneland Athletic Conference  title and win sectionals. As a senior, I want to lead everyone and make sure everyone sticks together as a team. I really want to encourage great teamwork and great attitudes throughout the season,” Fehrman said.