The meeting that will live in infamy

Students take part in a history trivia game. History Club met Friday Dec. 9.

Approaching 8:00 a.m. on Dec. 7, 1941, a United States army base in Hawaii was bombed by Japan. Flash-forward 75 years on Friday, Dec. 9, when History Club met to commemorate Pearl Harbor Day, which took place on the day of the bombings.

“Today our meeting we talked about Pearl Harbor and how it’s 75th anniversary was on Wednesday,” Caitlyn Mavity (11) said.

As World War II ended over 75 years ago in 1945, it is important for Americans to remember the war. The war implemented a new era into place.

“We just thought the 75th was a really big number. A lot of World War II veterans are dying so we really wanted to commemorate the day. [Commemorating Pearl Harbor was important to me because] my Great Grandfather fought in World War II, and I actually knew a veteran; he passed away a couple of years ago,” Mavity said.

At the meeting, students partook in a game with questions on World War II and Pearl Harbor.

“A lot of people might not know the stuff we said about Pearl Harbor. The point of our club is to have [people] learn stuff, but more in a fun way, not in a History class way,” Alexis Nikolovski (11) said.

Mr. Tom Clark, Social Studies, says it is crucial for students to learn about World War II. Even though they were told not to go too much into depth because students already knew the topic, Clark sees that this topic is discussed between students outside of class as well.

“I think it is very important for History teachers to talk about [World War II]. Look, let’s face it, teenagers love [learning about World War II]. It’s amazing to see people who really didn’t know what [Pearl Harbor] was,” Mr. Clark said.

History Club  brings a new topic for students to discuss every week. Each one is important on building the world today. Many historians say learn from history so it does not repeat itself.

“I think World War II is a very important time because it really put into action on how our lives are now with all the technology. I also think it’s just a really important thing to learn about because it affected the entire world, it wasn’t just like on little country anywhere,” Mavity said.