The bigger picture

Lauren Smolen (11) blocks out her opponent to get the rebound. Smolen got the rebound and pitched the ball ahead to her teammate Lauren Ladowski (11).

The varsity girls basketball team faced one of their biggest rivals, East Chicago, on Dec. 14. They fell short with a score of 58-53, but this is not the last time that the girls will face East Chicago. They will have to prepare for Sectionals, which is where East Chicago beat them last year.

“I think we played pretty good. We just need to work on some of the little details, and then we will be good,” Cheyenne Mathas (11) said.

The girls fought hard during the first half of the game, but they were struggling from stopping East Chicago from getting the rebounds. The score at the end of the first half was 34-29, East Chicago.

“The biggest struggle was gaps. We needed to get into the gaps and box out more,” Lauren Smolen (11) said.

The girls came back stronger and tougher in the second half. Their shots started falling, and they got their groove back. When there was a minute left in the game and Lake Central was down by five. The crowd was cheering and anxious, but that did not disrupt the Lake Central players.

“The atmosphere doesn’t really bother me during a game, but sometimes it is hard to get into stuff and understand what our coach is calling,” Mathas said.

Even though the loudness of the crowd did not bother Lake Central, they did not pull out a win. They still have a chance of correcting their mistakes and beating East Chicago in the Sectionals game.

“It is just the little things that we need to correct and get ready for Sectionals. That is when it really counts,” Cheyenne Mathas (11) said.